Following on from my previous post where parents/guardians don’t know what their kids are up to online, I wanted to provide a simple solution that could be used by today’s Internet parents (The Enforcers :p).
Now I know that this may cause some outrage among the teens out there BUT as a recent teen and someone that has seen some of the abysmal content roaming on the internet for all the world to see, I want to help who I can, where I can, if they look for it.
So let’s get down to business shall we?
What’s so special about it you may ask? It’s a comprehensive AV and Web Filtering solution that can be customised (with some technical mumbo jumbo) to suit your requirements, oh and did I mention it’s completely FREE!
Here is a quick step by step guide on how to configure and implement Forticlient to your PC’s and Laptops.
- Download the software.
- Install the software using the default options (next, next, next, finish).
- Open the software by clicking on Start > All Programs > FortiClient > FortiClient
- You’ll notice a handy little tab that’ll tickle your curiosity – yes, Parental Control.
- Click into the Parentl Control tab.
- Click on the settings button and you can now configure category based web filtering.
- Here is where the parental wizardy (judgement) happens. Select all the categories that you would like blocked, allowed, warned, or monitored by right clicking the category and selecting the option. By default, all categories are allowed.
- You’ll also notice that there is a Safe Search tickbox you can select. I would go ahead and tick that as well as the “Search Engine Safe Search (Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Yandex). If you type into google “Where can I get…..”, you’ll be surprised at what pops up!
- Once your Wizardy is complete and you’re satisfied at all the blocking you’ve done, click OK at the bottom. Your mission is almost complete…
How do you lock settings so that the program cannot be easily uninstalled or settings altered?
- Lock it down: let’s do it. Click on File > Settings.
Here you will see the settings page where you can configure other little wonderful things.
- Right on the bottom of the settings page, you will see a Lock. Here is where we will set our super awesome password.
- Remember to put a password so awesome that only you will be able to remember it. Click OK on the password box, then click OK on the settings page to save the settings.
- Test, test, test! Try it out and see if all your hard work is actually working.
- Woohoo! Pat yourself on the back on a job well done 🙂
I’ll provide some more advanced management tips for this later but for now I believe you’re already one step ahead of the game!