Ever have to do an authoritative restore? Tombstone Reanimation? Feeling chills down your spine? Me too… Server 2012 says no to this! And I agree wholeheartedly. So how do we do it? Pre-requisites:
- The domain functional level of the forest needs to be at least Windows Server 2008 R2
How to set it up:
- Type the following command: Enable-ADOptionalFeature “Recycle Bin Feature’ -scope ForestOrConfigurationSet -target –domainname -server domaincontroller
- Open Active Directory Administrative Center from the Tools menu in Server Manager
- Right click your domain in the navigation tree and select “Enable Recycle Bin”
- Enabling the AD recycling bin is irreversible so once you do it you can’t undo it.
- To confirm the recycling bin has been enabled, a Deleted Objects container will appear at the root of the Domain Controller.
Easy as pie 🙂